Date: Feb. 26, 2017
Event: 59th Daytona 500 (Round 1 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: 200 laps, broken into three stages (60 laps/60 laps/80 laps)
Race Winner: Kurt Busch of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Kevin Harvick of Stewart-Haas Racing (Ford)
SHR Race Finish:
Kurt Busch (Finished 1st / Running, completed 200 of 200 laps)
Kevin Harvick (Finished 22nd / Running, completed 197 of 200 laps)
Clint Bowyer (Finished 32nd / Accident, completed 128 of 200 laps)
Danica Patrick (Finished 33rd / Accident, completed 128 of 200 laps)
Kurt Busch (1st with 56 points, 12 ahead of second)
Kevin Harvick (4th with 42 points, 14 out of first)
Clint Bowyer (23rd with 18 points, 38 out of first)
Danica Patrick (24th with 16 points, 40 out of first)
- This is Kurt Busch’s first Daytona 500 victory, his first points-paying win at Daytona and his 29th career victory in 577 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races.
- This is the 37th points-paying NASCAR Cup Series win for Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) and its first Daytona 500 victory.
- Sunday’s Daytona 500 victory is SHR’s first with new manufacturer partner Ford.
- The win is Ford’s 15th all-time triumph in the “The Great American Race.”
- Busch led only one time at Daytona on Sunday when he took the lead on the last lap to secure the victory.
- The 2004 Cup Series champ’s record at Daytona now includes one win, 13 top-fives and 17 top-10s in 32 career Cup Series starts at the 2.5-mile oval.
- Along with Busch leading only the final lap on Sunday, SHR’s Kevin Harvick led all drivers in the laps-led category, leading six different times for a total of 50 laps. Harvick finished the race three laps down after getting caught up in a multicar accident on lap 129.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Folds of Honor 500 on Sunday, March 5 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The race starts at 2:30 p.m. EST with live coverage provided by FOX.